Sawley children now start their schooling at the modern Sawley schools on Draycott Road. For 100 years, from 1907 to 2007, New Sawley children went to the Mikado Road school, later called Lakeside School, for their primary education, but this school has now closed and the buildings are now used for other purposes.
The Sawley Baptists are one of the oldest-established Nonconformist organisations in the East Midlands. It is thought they were first formed in 1766, meeting initially in a private house. Their present church, a handsome building by any standard, was built in 1800 and extended in 1843. The New Sawley Wesleyan Church on Tamworth Road was founded in 1884.
What had started in 1894 as a one-man business making mineral waters, was acquired by Edward Carter, and then bought out after the second world war by A. J. Marmont, after which it grew steadily until its premises, opposite the church and going right through to Wilne Road, occupied a large part of the old village. In the late 1990s even this area was becoming too confined, and it moved to a greenfield site at Kegworth. The factory was demolished in 2000 and its site became a residential development called Churchfields.
What is now the White House restaurant was the Sawley Co-operative Society's shop. The Sawley Co-operative Society had started in 1873 and existed as an independent society for 20 years. However, in 1895 it became involved in a dispute with the Long Eaton Co-operative Society as to which society's area covered Trent Lock. So Sawley thereafter was part of the Long Eaton Co-operative Society's area.
The Trent Valley Sailing Club was formed in 1886, starting on what was called Trent Lake, one of the railway ballast holes and now filled in - today it forms part of the Trent Lock Golf course. The sailing club moved to its present headquarters, a wooden construction that is one of the finest modern buildings in Sawley, in 1907.
Long Eaton, which very suddenly changed from a hamlet into an industrial town, largely because of the Victorian boom in machine-made lace, experienced a huge spurt in growth in the latter half of the 19th century. In 1919 the Long Eaton Urban District Council made its first bid to take over New Sawley and Wilsthorpe, but this was rejected. Long Eaton made it clear that it did not want to take over Old Sawley, which had virtually no mains water, electricity, fire brigade, recreati on ground or library, and used mainly pail closets. However, in 1921 a large part of New Sawley and Wilsthorpe did go into Long Eaton. Eventually, in 1934, Old Sawley itself was incorporated into the Long Eaton urban district, though much of the field land went to Breaston and the South-east Derbyshire rural district.
Sawley, apart from the area on higher ground around the parish church, has always suffered from periodic flooding. In the 20th century Sawley was flooded in 1932,and then twice in two years, in 1946 and 1947. After the 1947 floods new flood prevention works were put in place, and there has been no general flood since then.
The Sawley Toc H Boys Club operated from 1947 to 1951, meeting every Friday evening for talks and film shows, and turning out on Saturdays with cricket and football teams.
The Sawley Memorial Hall committee was formed in 1944 to create a war memorial in Sawley that would also be a practical benefit to the community - a village community hall. To help to raise funds it revived the pre-war Sawley Carnival. The first post-war carnival was held in 1949, opened by Richard Attenborough. The carnival the following year was opened by Richard Attenborough's wife, the actress Sheila Sim. Richard Attenborough and Sheila Sim returned in 1958 to perform the opening ceremony for the Sawley Community Hall, which still stands on Draycott Road.
In 1974 the Long Eaton itself disappeared as a local authority, and was merged with Ilkeston and some of the villages in between into the Borough of Erewash. This fragmented the cohesion of Long Eaton as a single district, and Sawley reclaimed its distinct identity. In the year 2000 Sawley was again given its own parish council.
The Sawley Historical Society was created in 1983.