Until 1935 the section of Tamworth Road opposite Sawley Church was usually known as Front Street.
The Old Rectory was built c1823.
The White Lion was built in 1830. The bay windows were removed in the 1960s.
The terrace of houses just after the White Lion was Finney’s Row. These were built in the 19th century, replacing thatched cottages that burnt down along with a lace-making business. Finney’s Row was replaced in the late 1950s/60s by the ‘Tressanda’ factory.
See also: Carters.