The name Plant Lane goes back to at least the 18th century.
Wright’s shoe shop operated in Plant Lane from the early 1800s until the 1970s. It is now a private house.
Towle Close / Street
Towle Close was given to the Towle family in the Enclosure Act. The village well was here, though most people used the pump near Manor Yard. In the early 1900s it was replaced by Towle Street, connecting the extended Draycott Road with Arnold Ave. Though there were few (if any) houses before the Rural District Council built homes here in the late 1920s.
Arnold Avenue was developed about 1900. It was named after Joseph Arnold, who owned the land.
Shirley Street was developed about 1900. It was named after nearby field names: Shirley Close, Shirley Lees and Shirley Corner.
Ladylea was named after an ancient field and Ladylea Farm which formerly occupied the land.