Beyond Old Sawley, the main road was originally known as Nottingham Road from Lock Lane to the Canal Bridge. The name was changed to Tamworth Road when Long Eaton Council took over in 1935 to avoid confusion with Nottingham Road in Long Eaton.
The Bell Hotel on Nottingham Road was also built around 1900. Prior to this the Bell Inn had been at the end of Hey Street.
The southbound Bartons bus stop used to be outside the pub. It’s now opposite the Wesleyan Chapel, but the stop is still known as the ‘The Bell’.
Nottingham Road, Charnwood Avenue on the left, Bell Hotel on the right
Past Harrington Street (named after the Earls of Harrington who were Lords of the Manor) were New Sawley Post Office and the Wesleyan Chapel.
Looking back towards the village from the railway bridge, with Monkey Park on the right and the newsagents at the corner of Mikado Road on the left.